Did you know some substances in our food are banned overseas because they are so toxic?
If you like to eat healthy like we do here at Qure, it’s good to know what to avoid. And because you’ve likely consumed a few of these, they’re another good reason to drink lots of Qure Alkaline Water to help support your body’s detoxifying systems.
So here are 8 of the worst. Now, before you freak out and think “There’s nothing left to eat!” remember these toxic substances are not found in organic fruits, vegetables, grains and meats. It’s a perfect time to make the move to an organic alkaline diet, and here’s some motivation:
Arsenic (We know… how could that be in our food!)
- Used In: Chicken feed to make the meat appear pinker and fresher.
- Toxic Alert: Poison—ingest enough and its no surprise what happens.
- Banned In: The European Union
Artificial Food Die
- Used In: Most processed foods.
- Toxic Alert: Derived from petroleum and linked to brain cancer, nerve-cell deterioration, and hyperactivity.
- Banned In: Austria, Finland, France, Norway, United Kingdom
- Used In: boxed pasta, bread, packaged baked goods, frozen dinners
- Toxic Alert: It’s used to bleach flour (yes, bleach!) and is known to induce asthma.
- Banned in: Austraila and many European countries
BHA & BHT (preservatives butylated hydroxyanisole & butylated hydroxytoluene)
- Used In: Butter, cereal, gum, meat, nut mixes.
- Toxic Alert: Used to stop food from getting rancid and known to cause cancer in rats—there’s nothing left to discuss on that one!
- Banned In: European countries, Japan, United Kingdom
Brominated Vegetable Oil
- Used In: Citrus flavored sodas and sports drinks – it makes food die stick to liquid, and is derived from bromine, which is a fire retardant.
- Toxic Alert: has been linked to birth defects, growth problems, hearing loss, major organ system damage, and schizophrenia.
- Banned in: Over 100 countries (We think it’s time to make it 101)
- Used In: Fat free potato chips, corn chips and French fries. Created as a substitute for cooking oil to lower calorie count.
- Toxic Alert: Can cause vitamin depletion and anal leakage—all we need to know!
- Banned in: Canada, United Kingdom
Potassium Bromate (bromated flour)
- Used In: Bread products to reduce baking time and costs. (Bagel chips, breadcrumbs, rolls. Check your bread label.)
- Toxic Alert: Derived from the chemical bromide and is linked to cancer, kidney damage, and nervous system damage.
- Banned in: Canada, China, and many European countries
Synthetic Growth Hormones rBGH and rBST
- Used In: Cows—makes them produce more milk faster leading to all kinds of problems (look for a No Growth Hormones label on your dairy products).
- Toxic Alert: Potentially causing infertility, weakened muscle growth, and a whole array of cancers.
- Banned in: Australia, Canada, European Union, Japan, New Zealand